Admission and Registration


To register in distance education courses offered by the Office of Learning Technology, you must first be formally admitted to UBC. You can apply for admission via Enrolment Services as an undergraduate, graduate, visiting, or non-degree student.

Undergraduate and graduate students are those admitted to UBC, on either a full-time or part-time basis, planning to graduate with a degree or diploma. You will follow the same admissions procedure as any prospective student.

Visiting students are students registered in a degree program at another recognized post-secondary institution.

Unclassified students are those students who have already completed a university degree and who want to enrol in courses that do not lead to a particular UBC degree or diploma. Enrolment can be full- or part-time, and can include a wide variety of courses. All courses are credit courses and will appear on your official UBC transcript.

Access Studies students are students who have not completed a university degree, and who are interested in taking UBC courses for personal interest, professional development, or to upgrade post-secondary qualifications.

If you are a student in a degree program at Thompson Rivers University (TRU) – Open Learning, you can apply to UBC through Access Studies to enrol in distance education courses that will count towards completion of your TRU degree.

For more information on admissions please contact:

Before You Register

  • If you are in a study program, please make sure that you discuss your plans of taking distance education courses with a faculty advisor to ensure that they fit your program requirements.
  • If you receive a student loan, keep in mind to contact your Financial Assistance and Awards Advisor. Distance education courses have specific start and end dates and some may exceed the regular university term or span both winter and summer session. As student loan regulations require students to complete their courses in a specified time frame, this might have an effect on your student loan. You may have to reconsider your choice, or decide to contact the course instructor for permission to accelerate through the course.
  • If you are living in a remote area or are studying from overseas, we advise you to contact the course instructor before registration. Let the instructor know about your location and find out how much flexibility she or he can allow you with regard to the submission of assignments. Particularly if you plan to register in a correspondence (or print-based) course, this can be of importance as in most cases assignments are sent in for marking by mail. If you consider taking an online course, make sure that your local Internet connection is adequate enough in order to proceed through the course without any problems.


Once you are admitted to UBC and have received your student number, you can register for courses online through the Student Service Centre. Please consult the courses section of the OLT website for course codes.

Please see the online registration and course fees page for more information.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

UBC Sites

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia